Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fiat Uno new tires and summer things


I managed to contact the second owner of this Uno. He owned the car from the 1998 til 2012. After the head gasket broke he sold it to the guy who fixed it and sold it to me. Strange find was that during the first years this Uno didn't saw much action. in year 1999, according to service history, it had only a bit over 20 000 km, that averages a bit over 3 000 km's a year. That's a pretty sure sign that the first owner was an eldelry man.


The summer tires that came with this Uno were eleven years old Nokian NRT2 155/80 and pretty much worn out. I was planning to buy brand new tires because at the original size, which is 155/70 R13, they are not that expensive. From the local fiat -enthusiasts forum www.fiatforum.fi I happened to find what I think was a good bargain. A fellow was selling hardly used Yokohama a.drive -tires 155/70 R13 with the original Fiat Punto mk1 alloy wheels. I bought them straight away. Here's a pic of them installed to Fiat Uno.
Uno with Punto alloys

 It's been nice driving this Uno in the summer although it's pretty hot inside. Even when the rear windows are open. I also like the apt gear ratios in this 5-gear transmission, although second gear isn't that easy to engage..

Fiat Uno 1.1 i.e




Left rear door handle was broken like this when I bought this car:


I thought it is easy to replace, but the hard part was to find a replacement handle! It became clear that most of the Unos here has been 3-door models so the rear handles were in short supply. I finally managed to find one from the scrap yard in a not so bad price.
Fiat Uno rear door handle

To change the outer handle first you have to take out the interior handle which is attached with three screws, one on top and two under the handle.
Fiat Uno rear interior handle

 I decided just to part the interior panel a bit to get access to two handle fastening nuts.

Fiat Uno rear interior panel
Sadly the door metal was a bit bent, I tried to straighten it up just by gently pulling it  and it came pretty good. It needs some paint, as well as couple of other points in this Uno, so I think my next investment may very well be a paint spray with a Bleu Abisso -color..

Fiat Uno rear door handle holes, shown before straightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment